The principle of science, the definition, almost, is the following: The test of all knowledge is experiment. Experiment is the sole judge of scientific 'truth'. But what is the source of knowledge? Where do the laws that are to be tested come from? Experiment, itself, helps to produce these laws, in the sense that it gives us hints. But also needed is imagination to create from these hints the great generalizations to guess at the wonderful, simple, but very strange patterns beneath them all, and then to experiment to check again whether we have made the right guess.- Richard Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
I am interested in large-scale, longitudinal experimental research on computer networks and distributed systems.
- I am always looking for strong students interested in pursuing graduate degrees in networked systems (distributed systems, networking, wired and mobile systems). | Estoy siempre buscando buena gente interesada en estudios de posgrado en sistemas distribuidos y redes.
- My op-ed on Forbes on the right to affordable broadband
- Our SIGCOMM Worshop proposal was approved; Bala, Walter and I will be running the first Workshop on Crowdsourcing and crowdsharing of Big (Internet) Data (C2B(I)D. A fantastic PC should translate into a fantastic program!
- And Science has picked it up - a new post on the same work.
- Another article from the same collaboration with the Amaral's group, Jordi Duch and Roger Guimera, this one accepted to the Proc. of the National Academy of Sciences!! Now in early access!
- We have a paper accepted to ACM CoNEXT 2014 on a cool collaboration with Amaral's group, Jordi Duch and Roger Guimera
- The work by Angela Jiang, one of my undergraduate researchers, and John Rula, one of my Ph.D. students have won both categories of the ACM Student Research Competition award at SIGCOMM 2014!
- We have 3 papers accepted to the ACM IMC 2014! AquaLab is moving to Vancouver in November!
- Mario Sánchez successfully defended his dissertation - Congrats!!
- John Otto won the 2014 EECS Best Dissertation Award at Northwestern! Congratulations John!! This is the second best dissertation award for our lab!
These two are always news - Luca is already nine and Sofia just turned five.
AD(D): Estimating Mobile App Session Times for Better
John P. Rula, Byungjin Jun and Fabián E. Bustamante. In Proc. of HotMobile, February 2015.
- Crowdsensing Under (Soft) Control,
John P. Rula and Fabián E. Bustamante. In Proc. of IEEE INFOCOM, April//May 2015.
of heterogeneity and socio-economic factors on individual
behavior in decentralized sharing
A. Gavalda-Miralles, David Choffnes, John Otto, Mario Sanchez, Fabián E. Bustamante, Luis A. N. Amaral, Jordi Duch and Roger Guimera. Accepted for publication in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, September 2014.
behavior and change: File sharers and copyright
Arnau Gavalda-Miralles, John S. Otto, Fabián E. Bustamante, Luis A. N. Amaral, Jordi Duch and Roger Guimera. In Proc. of ACM CoNEXT, December 2014.
Measurement Experiemntation Platform at the Internet's
Mario A. Sánchez, John S. Otto, Zachary S. Bischof, David R. Choffnes, Fabián E. Bustamante, Blachander Krishnamurthy and Walter Willinger. Accepted for publication in IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (ToN), July 2014
Inter-Domain Traffic Estimation for the Outsider,
Mario A. Sánchez, Fabián E. Bustamante, Blachander Krishnamurthy, Walter Willinger, Georgios Smaragdakis and Jeffrey Erman. To appear in Proc. of the ACM Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), November 2014
Want, or Can Afford - Broadband Markets and the Behavior of
Zachary S. Bischof, Fabián E. Bustamante and Rade Stanojevic. To appear in Proc. of the ACM Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), November 2014
Runner-up for Best Paper Award
the Curtain - Cellular DNS and Content Replica
John P. Rula and Fabián E. Bustamante. To appear in Proc. of the ACM Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), November 2014
No 'one-size fits all': Towards a principled approach for
incentives in mobile crowdsourcing,
John Rula, Vishnu Navda, Fabián E. Bustamante, Ranjita Bhagwan and Saikat Guha. In Proc. of the ACM Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications (HotMobile),February 2014
- Dasu: Pushing Experiments to the Internet's
Mario A. Sánchez, John S. Otto, Zachary S. Bischof, David R. Choffnes, Fabián E. Bustamante, Blachander Krishnamurthy and Walter Willinger. In Proc. of USENIX NSDI, April 2013
broadband characterization at home,
Mario A. Sánchez, John S. Otto, Zachary S. Bischof and Fabián E. Bustamante. In Proc. of Passive and Active Measurement Conference (PAM), March 2013
I lead the AquaLab research group; you can look there from more information and group's publications.
- FALL 2015
Operating Systems: An overview of fundamental operating
- WINTER 2016
EECS-395/495 Internet-scale Experimentation: A seminar exploring the challenges with experimentation and measurement of Internet-scale systems
- SPRING 2016
EECS-345 Distributed Systems: An introduction to distributed systems
Selected Professional Activities
Past: CoNEXT 2013 | Networking 2013 | ICDCS 2013 | ACM SIGCOMM 2012 | ACM SIGCOMM Poster/Demos 2013 | IEEE ICNP 2013 | ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Measurements Up and Down the STack (W-MUST) 2012 | ACM/USENIX IMC 2011 | ACM SIGCOMM Poster/Demos 2011 | ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Home Networks (HomeNets) 2011 ... (A complete list can be found in my CV)
Other Professional Service
- Co-founder/organizer of ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Crowdsourcing and crowdsharing of Big (Internet) Data (C2B(I)D)
- General Co-Chair for SIGCOMM 2014
- Editorial board of IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking
- Steering Committee for IEEE International Conference on Peer-to-Peer Computing
- Editorial board of IEEE Internet Computing
- Editorial board of SIGCOMM CCR
- Affiliated Faculty - Northwestern Institute on Complex Systems - founded in 2004 with the goals of uncovering fundamental principles governing complex systems in science, technology, and human behavior and applying these principles to solve societally relevant problems through the analysis, design, and control of complex systems.
- Affiliated Faculty - Northwestern Universtiy Transportation Center - a leading interdisciplinary education and research institution dedicated, since 1954, to the long-term improvement of domestic and international systems for the movements of materials, people, energy, and information.
- Affiliated Faculty - Northwestern Institute for Sustainable Practices - NiSP promotes interdisciplinary education and research into economically, environmentally, and socially sound policies and practices that will help secure the earth's natural resources for use now and far into the future.
- AGEP Professor - Midwest Crossroads AGEP (Alliances for Graduate Education and the Professoriate) - a partnership of Northwestern, Indiana and Purdue University to increase minority participation in graduate studies and academia.
- I'm originally from Patagonia, Argentina ...
- Jeanine and I run long distance (marathons, half-marathons, 10 and 5K). For a few years, I have trained with a program that closely follows those described by Pfitzinger and Douglas in Advanced marathoning. I tried this Furman's FIRST marathon plan, but have gone back to the old approach -- long quality miles using the Hanson's Brothers' plan.
- Luca waiting for the ferry in Inis Meain (Aran Islands, Ireland).
- Pretty little thing - Sofia is now around!
- Astor Piazzolla - my favorite musician and one of his best-ever compositions, Adios Nonino.
- I played Lock/2nd Row for the Chenque Rugby Club, between 1984 and 1993. Many good friends and family still play for the club or for the veteran rugby team Los Alacranes.
- Los Pumas' passion - a great video of the toughest guys in the IRB.
- Academically (genealogy) ...
Fabián E. Bustamante (email fabian)
EECS Department, Northwestern University
Technological Institute, L477 ( Getting there)
2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL USA 60208
(847) 491-2745 | (847) 467-4144 (Fax)
Assistant: Patrick Hickey (email Patrick)